Prawn Balchao Recipe
Prawn Balchao recipe is one of the famous cuisines of goan foods, It is known as one of the greatest and wonderful Indian prawn recipes of all times. There are more calories in prawns than any other seafood items. Prawn recipes are best cooked in Indian hotels and restaurants as the prawn food. This Prawn Balchao is a special recipe for the people.
- 1 kg small to medium-sized prawns (cleaned and deveined)
- 4 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 2 large onions chopped fine
- 3 large tomatoes chopped fine
- 2 tbsps garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 10-12 dry red chillies
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2" stick of cinnamon
- 8-10 cloves
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Put the prawns in a large bowl and sprinkle salt on them. Keep aside.
- Roast the dry red chillies, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, cloves and cinnamon till they begin to release their aroma. Take off from the fire and cool.
- Grind the ginger, garlic and roasted spices into a smooth paste using the vinegar.
- Heat the oil on a medium flame in a wok-style pan. Add the prawns and stir fry till opaque. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan, fry the onions till light brown. Add the tomato and fry till soft.
- Now add the spice-vinegar paste, sugar and salt to taste and fry till the oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Add the prawns to this masala, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with piping hot, plain boiled rice.