Goan Fish Curry Recipe
Goan Fish Curry recipe is an authentic fish curry recipe, we eat fish curry recipe with rice every time. We can get goan fish curry recipes in all restaurants in goa. Goan fish curry is made with golden anchovies; It is also known as goan fish.
The Goan fish curry have a variety of seafood and not just Fish and this fish curry recipe is red hot and delicious, specially known for all spice lovers.
- 1 kg fish cleaned and cut into pieces
- 1 1/2" lump of tamarind
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 7-8 dry red chillies
- 2 tbsps garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 1/2 cups grated fresh coconut
- 2 tbsps coriander powder
- 2 tbsps cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 green chillies slit
- 2 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Hot water for gravy (approximately 2 cups)
- Salt to taste
- Soak the tamarind in 1/2 a cup of hot water for 10 minutes. Now mash the tamarind with your fingers to mix it well into the water. Strain through a sieve to extract all the pulp. Keep pulp aside.
- Put the onion, tomato, coconut, ginger, garlic, dry red chillies, all the spices and the tamarind pureé into your food processor and grind well to make a smooth paste (masala).
- Heat a deep pan on a medium flame, add the oil and heat.
- Add the green chillies, masala paste you just ground to the oil and fry for 5 minutes.
- Now add the 2 cups of water (add more water if you would like more gravy) and bring the gravy to a boil. Reduce the flame to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Gently add the pieces of fish to the gravy and cook for 10 more minutes. Do not cover the pan at any time during the cooking.
- Turn off the fire and serve immediately with plain boiled rice.