Chestnuts are the only low-fat nuts. They contain just 1 gram of fat and a little less than 70 calories per 30 grams of dried or roasted nuts. Boiling Chestnuts increase their caloric intake, Chestnuts are the only nuts that contain vitamin C. Just 100 grams of chestnuts provide 45% of the RDA of this vital antioxidant nutrient.
Chestnuts are good for you because it contains the necessary vitamins and minerals. Roast chestnuts are very tasty to eat.. Roasting chestnuts in oven is a common habit of the people. Cooking chestnuts is easy and less time consuming.
Many people have the doubt that is chestnut is a nut. The answer is yes of course the Chestnut is one type of low fat nuts which contains more calories and vitamins. Chestnuts taste like sweet and earthy, somewhat similar to a sweet potato. The downside of these nuts is that they lower in vitamins and minerals. But they're still comparatively nutritious and provide carbohydrate.
Here is the instruction on how to peel chestnut is to just remove the few chestnuts at a time from the water and with your fingers pull of the first outer shell then continue the same with the inner skin. If the skin is sticking, either use a sharp paring knife to help remove it, or simply drop it back in the water for a minute or two. Pull off all of both the outer shell and inner skin.
Health benefits of chestnut
- Chestnuts are quite low in calories, carry less fat, but are rich sources of minerals, vitamins and phyto-nutrients that massively benefit health.
- Another feature of chestnuts is that they are made of starch in contrast to other seeds and nuts, which are high in calorie, protein, and fat. Chestnut are still good sources of minerals, vitamins and some good-quality protein than cereals and tubers.
- They are a good source of dietary fiber; provide 8.1 g (about 21% of RDI) per 100 g. Chestnuts stand out from other edible nuts for their distinctive nutrition profile. They are extremely rich in vitamin-C. 100 g nuts provide 43 mg of vitamin C (72 % of DRI). Vitamin C is required for matrix structure in teeth, bones and blood vessels. It offers protection from harmful free radicals. Like true nuts, they too are rich source of mono-unsaturated fatty like oleic acid (18:1) and palmitoleic acids(16:1).
- Mediterranean diet which is rich in dietary-fiber, MUFs, omega fatty acids and antioxidants help prevent coronary artery disease and strokes by favoring healthy blood lipid profile.
- Chestnuts are rich in folates, which is a unique feature for nuts and seeds. 100 g nuts provide 62 µg of folates (or 15.5%). Folic acid is required for the formation of red blood cells, and DNA synthesis.
- The Chestnuts are an great source of minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc, providing a very good amount of potassium (518 mg / 100 g). Iron helps to prevent microcytic-anemia. Magnesium and phosphorus are important components of bone metabolism.
- Moreover, Chestnuts are also rich in many important B-complex groups of vitamins. 100 g of nuts provide 11% of niacin, 29% of pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), 100% of thiamin, and 12% of riboflavin.
Chestnuts are free from gluten like hazelnuts and almonds, etc. Chinese chestnuts (C. mollissima) are good in vitiamin A; provide 202 IU per 100 g.
Chestnuts are much lower in calories than other nuts. They are high in fiber. Their fiber content makes them a low glycemic index food — one that raises blood sugar slowly.
Chestnuts are exceptionally rich in vitamin-C. 100 g nuts provide 43 mg of vitamin C (72 % of DRI). Vitamin C is essential for matrix formation in teeth, bones and blood vessels. Being a strong anti-oxidant, it offers protection from harmful free radicals.
Chestnuts are rich in folates, (part of the B complex vitamins like green leafy vegetables), which is quite a distinctive feature for nuts and seeds. They are high in mono-unsaturated fatty like oleic acid (18:1) andpalmitoleic acids (16:1).
Chestnut Recipes are
- Chestnut, Prune, and Pancetta Stuffing
- Tagliatelle with Chestnuts, Pancetta, and Sage
- Chestnut Cake with Maple Icing
- Chocolate Chestnut Truffles
- Chestnut-Caramel Ice Cream