Khaja - a sweet pastry with thin wafers unique to Bihar. This Most famous khajas are from Silao in Nalanda district in Bihar..
- 2 cup(s) water
- 1 teaspoon(s) cardamom powder
- 1 10 oz cans of frozen hearty layered buttermilk biscuit
- 3 cup(s) sugar (for chashni)
- In a pot make thick chashni (see below for preparing chashni) with sugar, elaichi powder and water. Keep hot.
- In a wok or pan heat oil for deep frying.
- Break the biscuit can and separate the biscuits. When the oil is hot, deep fry the biscuits one or two at a time.
- When golden, take out and immediately dip in thick chashni nicely. Take out and keep on a plate.
- Do the same with all the biscuits.
- In order for khaja to be crisp, the chashni should be hot all the time. You can put the chashni pot on very low heat in order to keep it warm. By the time all the biscuits are fried and dipped in chashni the sugar coating of kaja will be dry.
- (Prepare chashni by putting sugar in boiling water and stirring it until a thick consistent solution is attained).