Gundu Pongal Recipe
Paddu (Kannada) / Kuzhu Paniyaaram (Tamil) / Gundu Ponglu (Telugu)is one quick snack /breakfast item Its a South Indian Dish that is made with this appliance. The batter for this dish is made exclusively for Paddu.
- Idli Batter - 2 cups
- Ginger grated - 1 tbsp
- Green Chillies chopped- 2 finely
- Jeera/ Cumin - 1 tsp
- Chopped green coriander - 2 tbsp
- Mix ingredients into the Idli batter mix well and check for salt /seasonings
- Spoon into the greased moulds till 3/4 full.
- Cover and cook till golden brown on a slow flame.
- Flip slowly with a flat teaspoon and cook on the other side.
- Serve hot with Tomato-Onion Chutney
- For Tomato-Onion Khara Chutney:
- In a pan, heat oil and saute Onions, Tomatoes till soft. Transfer to a plate & cool
- In the same hot pan, add tamarind, turmeric, hing, red and green chillies. Saute
- Grind these items in Steps 1 and 2 above with salt and little water till you get a thick chutney (salsa consistency)
- This chutney can be served as it is or tempered too and goes well with Paddu,Dosa,Idli or even Akki or Ragi Rotti (rottis made of Rice / Ragi flour)